I started with the chemise since it is the first layer a Victorian woman has to put on.
This historical example caught my eye, so I started drafting based on this example.
I hate necklines. For some reason I draft them, and when I transfer it to the actual fabric it doesn't lay correctly. I always end up having to do a few darts to make it lay right.
One day I'll figure out what I am doing wrong...
I had approximated that the chemise would take me three hours. It actually took me six because inserting the lace into the neckline took so long. And then I had to get it to lay flat.
I had made some sleeves (another piece I find really challenging), but wasn't completely sure I wanted them on. Sleeves on a chemise can create extra bulk. I probably will end up adding them just because without the sleeves it looks slightly unfinished when on.
I might also have to change the buttons to more modern buttons. These, while beautiful and antique looking, are round, and I worry that they will show through the bodice fabric. For now though, they stay.