December 13, 2012

Hobbit Inspired Treats (part 2)



Last night was Return of the King night at my house, the last of the Pre-Hobbit Parties.  Although the sword Sting is not prominent in the third installment of the Lord of the Rings series, I made Sting cookies because the sword is gifted to Bilbo in the Hobbit.  I used the same sugar cookie recipe as the other two cookies, drew the sword on paper and then cut it out.  I then used that stencil to cut out the cookie shapes with a knife.  After baking and cooling I decorated them with icing.  I bought a Duncan Hines Cotton Candy Frosting Creation packet from Walmart thinking it was exciting and blue- PERFECT!  Not so much.  Perhaps I did not enjoy it because my tongue very easily percepts fake sugars.  The ingredients say that the packet contains Dextrose, which apparently is a simple sugar, but I thought it tasted more like chemicals than cotton candy.  You can find the product here if you want to know more: http://www.duncanhines.com/products/frostings/frosting-creations-cotton-candy-flavor-mix

Anyway, I used regular frosting for the rest of the sword and just used color dye to color the yellow.  Although color dye is about $2.50 and the Duncan Hines packets were .96 cents I will be using color dye from now on, and if I need flavor so badly, I will use candy flavoring. 
I think the thing I was most excited to do with these cookies was to spar with them.  They are about 7-8 inches in length and make a fun, edible dagger :) Crumbs flying, I had a sparring match.  *brushes off shoulders…and vacuums floor* 
Needless-to-say, I won.  I took fencing in college after all! 


For tonight I had planned to make chocolate dragons with flavored candy gems.  However, my gem molds never came in!  I made the chocolate dragons, because that mold did arrive…thankfully.  They are adorable, and perfect.  Chocolate Smaugs?! Yes.Please.  They were so easy to make.  I melted a bag of chocolate chips in a double boiler....or my version of one, (smaller pot inside a bigger pot- bigger pot has boiling water in it, smaller pot has chocolate) poured the chocolate into the molds and then froze them.  When I get home tonight from work I am going to wrap them in tin foil and make “Hobbit Goodie Bags” which will include all three cookies, from the Pre-Parties, and a chocolate Smaug.  I may have to sneak in a canister of milk.  Soda and cookies…so not as good!


Check back for pictures of my finished Lord of the Rings inspired dress tomorrow; I’ll be taking pictures before and at the event!
Please leave comments and/or questions!  I would love to hear from anyone reading this! 

I will close with a commonly known verse from Tolkien:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king


No comments:

Post a Comment