August 14, 2016

Medieval Wedding Dress


For the last month I have been busy creating this wedding dress for a dear friend. A few years ago she asked if I would make her dress, and together we discussed design, fabric swatches, and finally--here we are!

The dress consists of two parts: the dress and the overdress. The dress is made from a low-sheen, heavy satin. I could not find an off-white, quality satin, so I tea dyed the fabric. It is lightly boned inside to help with support, and laces up the back. The velvet is a crushed, stretch velvet lined with a lightweight, green satin.

The bride asked if I could make the sleeves roll up so she could eat dinner without trailing her sleeves through the food. I hid sew-on magnets in the lining of the sleeves so she will easily be able to get the sleeves out of her way. In the above picture you can see how they attach.


The velvet overdress also laces up the back for added effect.

I cannot wait to see her wearing the dress!














1 comment:

  1. Yay! A new post! I've missed getting to see what you're working on :) The dress looks absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see her in it! (And I can't wait to see you!!!!)

    ReplyDelete