April 7, 2014

Thrifty Thursdays: Alice


“Have I gone mad?"
"I'm afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usually are.”
 - Lewis Carroll


As I said in my introduction to Thrifty Thursdays last week, my first project was Alice.
Made from two blue pillow cases and a white tablecloth, I created this costume:


I also mentioned that it was not the best thing I had ever made.  I will now  explain why!


Because I was wearing this to a party and trying to finish it as quickly as possible, I did not finish any of the seams.  This means that slowly the insides are unraveling, and it looks quite messy on the inside.
Because of my limitations with fabric, I was not able to make the dress as long I wanted.  This is lamentable, but considering I spent $5 on fabric and probably will only wear it once…I decided not to care that it was a hint too short.
The waist, where I attached the skirt to the bodice is my most unhappy part about the dress.  One part of the waist line arcs up higher than the rest.  However, the apron hid this well, so I decided not to take the time to rip out the stitches to make it perfect.

All in all this was a fun project, though there was much I could have improved upon.


No comments:

Post a Comment