January 6, 2017

Fallout 4 Vault Dweller

In preparation for PAX South, I made this costume for my boyfriend. It was a blast to build, and I think is one of my more successful costumes to date.

Building a Pip-Boy

I made the pip-boy out of glue, foam, acrylic paint, and spray paint. I spent a lot of time pouring over photos of the pip-boy to get the shapes and nuances correct. 

Then I glued it all together!

I primed it before painting to give it a bit of rigidity.

After a coat of spray paint I added in the "screen"

The Suit

After careful study, I realized that the suit was probably corded, which made perfect sense to me! Cording makes it easy to move in, but still gives the wearer a step up in protection. I used about 15 yards of cord in the suit.

My machine was acting up during this project, and while trying to rip out a seam to re-do it, I ripped the fabric...in the middle of the leg...with zero extra fabric. GASP!

Eventually I decided that although it would ruin the "perfect" look of the suit, let's face it, the world of Fallout is a MESS. It is more than likely anyone in the world has had to mend their own clothes. So I hand stitched it shut. It's not beautiful,but it works and it adds character. Then I moved on with construction!

Photos at PAX

Thanks for reading!

1 comment: