I knew exactly what I wanted to make. A dress based off Abigail Larson’s beautiful artwork. Seriously, she is amazing. Not only is she a wonderful artist, she also loves Poe and Opera. Um…can I just saw how much I want to be her best friend? Because she sounds way too awesome, and honestly I didn’t even expect her to answer me, never mind answer me so nicely!
Anyway- I contacted her to ask if I could make one of her dresses. I check all day at work for plagiarism…I’m not about to commit it myself. I also offered to make it for her, because let’s be honest- I have three huge boxes of costumes. My sewing “room” is a closet. I have zero room to store all the projects I’m working on. So I am making this dress for her:
The costume isn’t completely done yet, but I wanted to post my progress. Because you cannot have an 18th century dress lay correctly without the proper undergarments, I started on those first because I had about two weeks until I could officially start on the actual project.
Stays, chemise, bum roll, and petticoat!
Then I made the fichu…not exactly historically accurate as the patterns I saw for fichus were a whole lot smaller than the one I made, but I wanted a really full look, so I made it a whole lot larger.
I was a tiny bit worried that the arm holes were not deep enough, so I had my mother try it on. Surprise. The arm holes were not deep enough. So I fixed that.